Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Deeper Look...

Hello friends! So my welcome note was short and sweet but this week I thought I'd let you in a little deeper to understand me a little more. As I said before I am a student at West Chester and I graduate this December. College has been a fun time but I am more than ready to get out. Now comes this big question at this point in my life. What do I do after college?? Like many 18 year olds I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life so I entered college as "Undeclared".  I had an idea of a major I would be interested in but with all of the random classes my advisors told me to take I had ended up on a path of many more years of school to get a degree I wasn't 100% sold on. So now here I am, four and a half years later, about to graduate with a Professional Studies degree and I'm at a crossroads. I think I have finally figured out what I would like to do with my life. I would like to do a specific kind of psychology, but at this point I don't know if I can handle any more schooling right now. So... suggestions?? I want to know what you would do! Bite the bullet and just continue with school? Or go find a grown up job and consider more school in a few years. Or maybe you have another amazing idea that I haven't even thought of. I'm open to ideas so please feel free to share. Signing off for now my friends!

3 comments:

  1. I can understand your frustration! It's definitely scary not knowing where you're headed in life. Luckily I have had a set plan since I entered college. (Hopefully I will be able to stick to it!!) As a psychology major, my plan is to go right for my PhD after receiving my Bachelors Degree, which is about 5 to 6 more years of schooling. (Kill me, I know.)

    If you want to have a career dealing with psychology, you need to continue your education if you want to make even a decent amount of money. You could go for your masters, which is only 2 years; however, not all states accept having just your masters, depending on the type of work you want to do. Luckily in PA you can have your masters in most cases, but if you were to ever move out of state for any reason you might have to start your graduate education over again.

    Personally, I am going straight through and getting my PhD directly after my undergrad. I think taking a few years to work would really throw me off and it would be very difficult for me to get into the swing of having all that schoolwork again. If I were you, I would at least get your masters right away and then maybe consider going back to further that education later. A major plus is that the jump in yearly salaries from masters to PhD is a MAJOR difference, so it's definitely worth getting your PhD over your masters!!! :)

    I hope this was helpful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with Keri. It is tough when you go through school and then during the last few semesters, you realize that you want to change your major. Even if you are tired of school, I would either go part time, so that you can work and go to school or get your degree in Professional studies and then go for your masters in psychology. I know that I like being an english major but if it wasn't for that fact that I was graduating to, I would switch to political science. However, I plan on doing that for my masters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the ladies above. I began as a Music Education Major years ago, and decided that not only (A) did I not want to teach, but (B) even if I did want to teach music, the Arts are usually the first thing to go when budget cuts are made. It's sad, but true. So I switched to a Liberal Studies major with a minor in Music. I currently hold a 30-hour a week job and attend school on MWF. If you can stomach it, at least try to get a few online or night courses in if you cannot do day courses and work towards another degree. Try to find some sort of job, not only for the money but also to take your mind off education for just a bit. Then if/when you decide to finish a master's or PhD or another degree, you will have at least gotten some of the credits out of the way. Just my 2 cents!

    ReplyDelete